Hearing things

The burly fellow was making an awful gurgling noise. It was a series of clicks, sucking and blech sounds. It stop bothering Simon a long time ago, but still...it sounded so disgusting.

Simon pulled back and looked at the neck of the man he had just been feeding on. The puncture marks from his fangs seemed to be winking at him as they slowly closed. He waited for them to completely heal before he snapped the man's neck quietly. Finally the gurgling stopped as he lowered the man to the ground. He took out his wallet and any of the cash in it, then pulled him behind a dumpster.

Walking casually out, Simon walked the three hundred feet back to his car through the maze of the back alley. Turning a corner, he happened upon a homeless man who jerked awake at the sound of him. Simon knelt down and gave the man the money from his previous kill. Without a word, he continued on.

His dark blue jag was parked in a garage that he had previously broken into. He opened the door and walked into the dark shack. His night eyes picked up everything in the room and he calmly opened his car door and slid in. Simon shut the door just as quietly and sat in the noisy vacuum of silence. The car still smelled like brand new leather as it was a gift from Ellis the year before. Simon leaned onto the arm rest of his driver's side door and rested his chin in his hand.

It was quiet. Nachton always was down in the alleys. Simon put his hand on the wooden stick shift and looked at the passenger side seat.

'Didn't think you'd miss me, did you?'

Simon closed his eyes, trying to will away the voice.

'It's not that easy, love.'

Suddenly he could smell her expensive perfume. Simon looked up into the rearview mirror but nothing was there. He heard the distinct russling of silk behind him. She would have a bored expression on her face. She'd be picking at her nails with her mouth slightly open, her tongue touching the tip of one of her fangs. Simon turned and looked over his shoulder slowly.

There she was, sitting there in an elegant silk red wrap. Long, bare legs crossed and her hands resting on her thighs. He looked up into her face.

'Hi,' she said with a wink.

Simon gave her a blank expression and then turned back to stare out the windshield. 'You're dead.'

'Well yeah,' she replied, 'falling into a pit of fire will do that to you.'

He couldn't help but grin. Her sense of humor was one of the few qualities about her that he actually liked.

'You liked more than that, Simon.'

Flirting was natural for Ellis, even with the person who let her die. The ease in her voice warmed over him.

'I loved you,' he said.

'Yeah, I recall you saying that before you let go.'

Simon reached forward and turned the ignition key. The jag roared to life and he backed out of the garage with a squeal. Shifting back into first, he gunned down the back alley, the jag's engine reving loudly.

'I'll see you later, love.'

Simon turned quickly to look over his shoulder, but she was gone.

((ooc - one of Simon's flaws is hearing voices - ellis "voice" is in red)