Bus Ride and Phone Calls

Nachton's bus station wasn't ginormus like the one she'd been in in New York that one time, but it was roomy and clean and the maps on the wall were very detailed and quite impressive. Wren stood staring at the maps and the bus schedule in her hand. She decided that she would stop in Brighton, two towns south and set up a PO Box and then have lunch, then hop the bus and go fifty miles west and make her phone calls on the calling cards she picked up in the bus station gift shop.

It seemed really silly to go seventy five miles away from where she had chosen to live just to make phone calls, but she just couldn't be too careful, he might have a trace on her parents phone or something and she just couldn't risk it.

Tickets bought and a very sticky pastry and a cup of coffee in hand, Wren boarded the bus and enjoyed the lovely winter scenery as the she traveled south along the coast. The bus made three stops on its way to Brighton and by the time her stop came she had had the company of a bubblegum popping, pink haired, walkman blaring teenager that gave her a smile and nod as she sat down and another when Wren got up to leave the bus.

Brighton was a picturesque little town and the post office was easy to find. She opened the PO Box easily under her assumed name from the court papers and left the post office smiling happily. She stepped out into the cold sunshine and looked up and down the street. It was one of those cute little main streets with kitschy shops that sold organic soaps and funky little tchotchkes. She glanced down at her watch. She had about an hour and a half until the bus came so, she would do a little shopping then get some lunch at one of the little cafes.

She felt free and optimistic as she strolled along the main street. For the first time in her life she had nothing to fear, no obligations, almost zero responsiblities and a date with a sexy rock star on the horizon. The breeze caused her pony tail to flutter around her head and she laughed as she pulled strands of hair out of her mouth. She walked into a shop that seemed to sell all manner of stuffed animals and nothing but. She saw a display of Ty Beanie Babies and chuckled. She had had a room mate that collected them like a religion and their room had been filled with hundreds of the little animals.

Wren wanted something she could hold and worry the ears or play with the tail as she read or watched tv. She'd had to leave her old kitten behind for storage when she left, but she'd find a replacement here. She very nearly squealed when she came upon a display of thirty or so different kinds of cats in almost as many different poses and colors. She touched all of them, running her fingers over their fur and touching noses, pulling tails, and finally settled on a black and gray tabby that was curled on himself with his head resting on his forepaws, and his long tail loos and easily played with.

She chatted briefly with the sales girl as her selection was rung up, paid for and put in a cardboard kitty carrier that made Wren laugh. She asked the girl for a recommendation for a quick light lunch and was directed to the Flower Garden four doors down. "They have a sort of high tea thing that's great for a light lunch."

She swung her new purchase from arm to arm as she strolled to the storefront that housed the Flower Garden. It was a cute place painted in muted pastels and tons of living greenery. Wren was given a table next to a side window, it looked out onto a small rock garden and was surrounded with like nine different plants. She glanced over the menu and chose to have the high tea, which was three courses served with it's own kind/flavor of tea. The first course was four kinds of salads, the second was finger sandwiches and fruit, and the third was an assortment of little pastries.

Wren finished her lunch with ten minutes to spare and decided to have a last cup of tea before heading back up the street to catch her bus. She rode in contented fullness and dozed lightly as the bus traveled it's hour and twenty minutes to the western city.

Wren 18 years ago
The crackling voice of the bus driver announcing her stop brought Wren out of her doze. She stood up and stretched cramped limbs and muscles. She slipped her purse from her shoulder, picked up her kitty and disembarked from the bus. She had just over two hours before the next bus left this town and headed back to Nachton. That would be more than enough time to get her calls made and she would just hang out at the bus station until it was time to go again.

She found a row of telephone booths, complete with little benches, like in those movie of the thirties where you could lounge and yell at each other over the crappy connection. Chuckling she entered into the third booth and dug the calling cards out of her purse.

She followed the instructions on the back of the card and listened to the phone ring, once, twice...

"Hello?"

"Mom?"

"Wren! Oh my goodness. Honey where are you?"

"Hi, Mom. I'm in a bus station on the east coast."

"Jeez louise, Wren. Why did you go so far away? And when are you coming home. Will you miss Christmas."

Wren cringed, she was going to have to miss Christmas. She would feel bad for her mom, but she wouldn't miss any of the rest of the 'festivities.'

"Yeah, I'm going to miss Christmas. How are you doing Mom? How's Dad?"

"Oh we're fine honey. Dad got a raise so we can finally get cable. He's very excited about that. Says he can't wait to watch the college games in spanish or some such nonsense."

Wren chuckled. Her dad had been wanting cable for the longest time, and since they were paying for her they couldn't afford it. She was happy for them.

"That's great Mom. Hey, look I have an address you can send mail and stuff to. They'll accept packages and stuff to, just not Fed Ex or UPS."

"Oh great, let me find a pen." Wren heard muttering and rummaging as her mother searched for a pen and paper.

"Well I found one of the grandkids crayons and a piece of construction paper, but it will have to do."

She had to bite her lip to keep from laughing, such a typical occurence. It was nice to know things didn't change. "Ok it's PO Box 13283 Brighton, Connecticut, 06138. Did you get it all?"

"hmm, let me read it back. PO Box one-three-two-eight-three Brighton, see tee goose egg six-one-three-eight?"

"Yeah, that's it."

"Ok Thanks. So Little Girl, when are you coming home."

Wren sighed, she knew this would happen, and she felt awful having to say it, and she knew her mom would worry, especially since Wren couldn't call her every day.

"I don't know, Mom. I just don't know. I found a really nice city to live in and I'm going to start looking for an apartment tomorrow. There are some great places here and I'm hoping I can teach or dance with a company."

"Well, it's about time you got a respectable job."

"Mom."

"All I'm saying is that the Good Lord didn't give you your gifts so that you could take your clothes off for strangers."

Wren sighed again. It was time to say good bye otherwise her mother would go on and on about how it's not right to strip and wiggle her butt for men.

"I know, Mom. I need to go. Give Dad my love and I'll call again in a couple of weeks."

"Ok honey, you be careful out there. I love you."

"Love you."

The phone went dead in her ear. Wren sighed and replaced the phone on it's cradle, hot quick tears flowing down her cheeks.
Wren 18 years ago
She sat up, took a deep breath and wiped the tears from her cheeks with the tips of her fingers. Wren wiped her hands on her jeans and picked up the phone again, following the instructions on the back of her card. It rang once.

"Kit Kat Club."

"Joey? Is Mark around?"

"Yeah, hang on. Whose callin?"

"It's Wren."

A low chuckle sounded in her ear. "Woo, girl you are in for it big time. Where you been?"

"I hopped a plane to Kalamazoo."

"Shit Wren, there ain't no such place. Finally ran away huh?"

"Yeah. Go get Mark, kay?"

"Yeah sure. Hang on."

Wren took in a breath. Mark was going to read her the riot act, but he would understand once he stopped yelling. Maybe just maybe he'd let her talk -before- he started yelling.

"Yeah, fat chance, chick."

The phone crackled and someone coughed in her ear. She winced but kept the phone on her ear.

"Wren?"

"Hi Mark."

"Where in the sam hell have you been. I had to put Carly on for you. Took three bouncers to calm the crowd. What the fuck, Wren?"

"Mark, I ran."

"Good God, Wren. We could have kept you safe. Where the fuck did you go?"

"East coast."

"Oh nice. Gunna live it up in Plymouth or some shit huh?"

Wren laughed. She didn't think Mark even knew where Plymouth was or in what state.

"Nah I'm north of Conneticuit. Found a nice big town."

"Well damn it to hell Wren. You could have given -me- a little notice. I mean shit it was your vamp night. Carly don't do vamp. She was a fucking nurse for God's sake."

His voice had increased in volume, but Wren was still able to keep the phone to her ear. He was pissed, but more worried, so he wasn't shouting...yet.

"You know I couldn't Mark. That was the whole point. I have a new address if you want it. Or you can send my pay to my mom's."

"I'll send it to your mom's. No sense giving more people your location than you gotta. When you comin back Wren?"

"I'm not Mark. Even if I come home, I'm not comin back. I'm gunna start teachin or dancin for a company."

"Well, shit, girly, that don't help me at all. Well I wish you the best. You just come tell me hi, gimmie the time of day after you get home."

"Yeah, Mark I'll do that."

She heard a soft sigh and a sniffle. She swallowed hard and kept her sigh to herself.

"Well, you take care of yourself out there in the big bad city."

"Yeah. Take it easy, Mark."

"Bye, Wren."

"Bye."

She set the receiver back and leaned her head against the back of the booth, letting the tears flow freely. She wanted to go home, but life had dealt her this hand and she'd be damned if she let life trump her.
Wren 18 years ago
Shaking fingers wiped cold drying tears from her face, as she opened her eyes and took a deep breath. she had one more call to make and then she could head home, 'Wow, I'm already thinking of it as home,' put on that sexy red dress, and forget about the world for a night.

She pulled out her second calling card and dialed the number and followed the automated instructions.

"Bartlett, James and Cowen."

"Mr. Cowen, please."

"He's in a meeting, I can give you his voicemail."

"No I need to speak to him, he'll talk to me."

"Who is calling?"

"Wren."

"Oh, oh yes. One moment."

Crappy muzak came over the phone and Wren found herself humming along to the butchered rendition of "I'm every woman." the song was just ending when the phone was picked up again.

"Wren?"

"Hi Jacob."

"My God, Wren where the hell are you?"

"Some town in Conneticuit about an hour and a half from where I'm living."

"You drove an hour an a half just to call me?"

"You and Mom and Mark."

"You doing ok? I've been worried sick."

Wren sighed, this whole thing was so frustrating, everyone knew she was going to flee, and that sh wouldn't be able to tell them, and yet they acted like it was this huge surprise.

"Yeah, you and everyone else. Look I need to set up accounts and stuff here and I didn't bring all that much money with me and I can't use my cards and stuff here, so I need you to send me my stuff."

"Sure thing. How much and which accounts?"

Wren did some quick math in her head.

"Everything in my Bank of America checking and savings. Cash out the one mutual fund that's up for renewal and the contents of my safe deposit box."

"Sure thing, got a new address."

"Yeah, a PO Box, they'll take packages, just nothing Fed Ex or UPS so send it over night US Postal."

"Sure thing, doll. I'm ready."

"Ok it's PO Box 13283 Brighton, Connecticut, 06138. That isn't where I'm living, it's a few towns over and not too far to drive to every few days. So feel free to send what ever mail you want to there. My mom should be getting my last pay check from Mark soon, will you send that on too?"

"I sure will. Anything else Wren?"

"No I think I'm ok for now. My bus is leaving here in a few minutes and I want to grab a snack or something before I depart."

"Ok, you take care of yourself, call me to let me know you get my package."

"I will, thanks Jacob."

"Anytime, Wren. Bye."

"Bye."

She set the receiver down for the final time and stood, stretching muscles cramped from sitting and crying for so long. She looked at her watched and she had about thirty minutes left until the bus that would carry her home came.

Wren pushed open the door of the booth and headed to the Starbucks that was nestled in the corner of the station and ordered a vanilla latte, and two biscotti. It wasn't much of a snack, but it would keep her tummy full until her late dinner.

Thirty minutes saw her back on the bus and watching the country side roll past. Wren had had no idea how lovely the east coast really was until now. She thought that perhaps now her life could turn around and she could leave the losers and lunatics behind her.

((ooc lock up please.))