Visiting Hours

After stopping by his room briefly to pick a couple of somethings up, Alec had successfully navigated both the subterranean passages between facilities and the bureaucracy to find himself in front of a set of lab doors. The lights were off inside, and the door was locked. Generally, this would not have bothered him in the least. He would have popped the door, made the delivery and been on his way before anyone was the wiser. Given the circumstances, however, he wasn't sure that breaking and entering into a clan-run facility to make a delivery to someone who wasn't even there would be viewed. Stinking social mores. Besides, he could use some catch up time with Nova with everything going on, and she might know where he had to drop his other bundle.

Turning to retrace his steps to find the individual who had lead him astray, he discovered Nova walking toward him, looking distracted. Smirking, he stepped around the corner, focusing, blending with the darkened window as he went. As she waltzed by and started sequencing herself into her lab, Alec relaxed his mind and blurted

FINE! Don't say hi!

Nova 18 years ago
Nova shrugged the duffle bag from one shoulder to the other as she headed down the hall, still ranting in her head about stupid Kyle and his stupid clothes that she certainly had –not- taken a moment to hold to her nose and inhale deeply. And even if she had, it was just…scientific curiosity!

Yeah, that was it.

She dropped the bag to the floor and reached up to punch in the series of numbers that would lead her inside when she was suddenly pulled from her further musings regarding all the perfectly justifiable reasons for smelling Kyle’s clothes by someone shouting and scaring the living daylights out of her. She started, nearly tripping over the bag she had dropped to the floor and hitting several wrong buttons in her effort to regain her balance and look in the direction of the horse’s ass who wanted to play games…

Oh, it was Alec.

“Fucking scared the shit out of me, jackass!”

She was grinning as she spoke, finding she was glad to see him, and cleared out the keypad to reenter her number. That done, she opened the door and gestured for Alec to go on in.

“What’s up? Feel like coming in or just passing through?”
Alec Devereaux 18 years ago
Laughing at the flailing spectacle, Alec popped in, wary of making an opportunity for her to give him a much-deserved smack..

Oh no. That was it. Just wanted to scare you silly and go about my merry business of alienating the few people I know that are worth talking to.

Glancing around, Alec froze in the doorway, knowing he was out of his element. He hadn't been this clueless about the relative value of a room's contents since he'd raided one of the research labs at Tulane and literally had to go practically by the description.

Holy shit...look at the brain on Nova...I know SOMEONE who must have paid more attention in school than I did. This looks like one of those rooms from the movies where something sinister is undone and the world is saved. You've even got your own geeks to serve you! That rocks! Oh...anyway, I figured we were due for a chat and I had a delivery to make anyway. So business, before I forget.

Pulling out the lenses, he spread them on the display cloth he'd wrapped them in.

I found these in a floor safe next to the base floor munitions storage at the raid site. Any ideas? I knew you were smarter than I was before...now I know just how much more. I figure you'll be able to do more with them than I will. All I could think of was using them as coasters for our wine glasses, but if they were in a safe, they're probably a bit more useful than all that.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova flipped the light switch and walked in after Alec, inhaling the clean air of her lab and grinning slightly. This wasn’t a true clean room, just for basic utility work, a place she could stick assistants or accomplish something quickly, but it was still orderly and neat with none of the grit she seemed to pile on outside the lab.

She blinked when Alec began speaking, her eyebrows going up further and further as he rather vocally went on about her brains. The world saving remark in particular hit home; sometimes it really did feel that way, like she could make such a difference in this room…other times it felt like they were just keeping their heads above water doing damage control on serious fuckups.

She forced a laugh and shrugged her shoulders.

“Yeah, I’m a fucking genius. Whatcha got?”

She peered down at the lenses, focusing on the nearly imperceptible etching along the side before looking up at Alec with eyebrows raised.

“They’d been busy.”

She returned her gaze to the lenses, picking each up in turn carefully by the edges and muttering to herself.

“It’s a progression…they were trying to emulate…but why?...unless…Jesus…oh…oh, damn! Damn!”

She carefully set down the lens she was currently holding and grinned at Alec, quite pleased.

“Physics department is going to wet their pants. Good eye man.”

She opened up a cabinet underneath the counter and pulled out an empty box with a soft felt lining and separators and fit the lenses one by one into the slots as she spoke.

“Looks like they had a few people with a clue over there after all. This could really change the way we do things…it’s a better way of understanding…real breakthrough…”

Realizing that she was being an absolutely shitty host, she closed the box and walked over to one of the locked cabinets that lined the walls, pulling out her key chain to put it away for now. Normally she wouldn’t have given a flying fuck how well mannered she was in her own lab, considering what she called 'gruntal communication' was pretty much par for the course, but she remembered that Alec wasn’t a fellow scientist and he probably wasn't used to that sort of behavior.

“Thanks, really. You did great...with this and, you know, the whole raid thing. Er...want to grab a chair?” She gestured to the stools that lined the back counter.
Chuckling at Nova's response to the glass thingamahoojies that he'd stolen from the safe, Alec waived his hand dismissively.

Yes, yes. You're a fucking genius and I can spot when something is worth its weight in souls. We know, we know. But it sure does feel nice to say it sometimes, doesn't it? I'd ask what it was, but I won't understand the answer anyway, and you'd have more fun talking about it to a coworker than a working stiff like me. Just glad I found something fun for you to play with. I swiped Carol the backup tapes from the server room too, so I got presents for all of the ladies, it seems.

Plopping onto one of the stools, Alec fidgeted while he spoke, not quite sure how to relax on a stool without leaning on the counter.

Carol's team is going to look into the backups and see if there's anything juicy. That'll give a better cross-section with the downloaded info as to how bad things were, I guess. But there'll be a big meeting about all that later, I'm sure.

Giving up on getting comfortable on lounging on the stool without leaning on the counter, Alec rearranged himself to better lean on the counter but still have a good line of sight on Nova. Working on these must be great for posture and hell to get used to.

So what is new and exciting in Novaland? I haven't seen you around much since you distracted me, I knocked Ginnie over, tore the clothes off of Aishe and made a general fool out of myself. Oh, incidentally, thanks for that. Ended up being a great thing overall. Not sure if you did the car alarms too...but I wouldn't put it past you.

Pausing a moment, Alec realized he'd been pretty damn chatty and not entirely linear...maybe he should give her a minute to catch up. Noting that he'd been staring, he blinked. Odd to be so comfortable around someone and still so awkward. He'd figure it all out eventually.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova gave a little shrug before plopping on a stool, putting her elbows on the counter behind her for support. She hadn’t meant anything by not explaining and hoped Alec’s offhand remark about being a ‘working stiff’ wasn’t a sign that he was offended. That wasn’t what she was thinking at all and she figured Alec was plenty sharp.

She just wanted to be sure first.

She snorted at the thought of a meeting, making a mental note to sleep through that and have Jan fill her in on the interesting stuff.

“Yeah, you’re a lady’s man, Alec.” She grinned when Alec mentioned the whole falling all over the place incident at the ball and considered mentioning her own little embarrassing moment. Then she thought better of it. “Hey, no problem, but I can’t take credit for the car alarm thing. Glad to hear it all worked out though.”

“As for me, it’s been back to work for the most part. Was trying to wrap up a project when this other deal came up. Still getting some mixed results.” She shrugged to show it didn’t bother her, figuring it wasn’t all that convincing but not wanting the disappointment to show too badly.

“Simon’s improving; saw him earlier. Evans is…well he’ll get better.” She snorted. “Except for his personality; I think that’s a permanent affliction.”

“So how about you? Liking Nachton so far?” She laughed darkly; what a way to start things off in a new city.
Mimicking Nova's posture, Alec tried it out, still not fully in control of the stool situation. Ah. Leave it to the scientists to find a comfortable angle in the most uncomfortable furniture...much better.

Damn, these things take some getting used to. Sorry.

Finishing his fidgeting, he started paying a bit more attention again. Ah...she'd thought he was kidding. Maybe it was time to explain.

Ah, no...I was actually serious. It really helped break the ice with Ginnie. You know how bizarre I can get around folk for the first time, and that seemed to get it all out of the way at once. Same with Aishe, actually...she was the one whose clothes got ripped off. If I'd known that falling over and knocking into people would bring them together I'd have planned things out a bit better. Less public, for sure...that was the hard part. But after you're tangled in someone else's limbs, it makes conversation more natural somehow. Weird. But thanks.

Evans...is that the Kyle guy? Got something for him for saving the day. I should bring flowers to Simon too, but that might be a bit weird. Maybe if I stole them it would be less out of the blue and still within our social paradigm. That's an idea.

Considering Nova's last question...Alec paused. Frowning for a moment, he considered spilling everything. All the plusses, all the minuses...so few minuses. Nice.

Um...I can honestly say that coming to Nachton has been the best thing ever. I've learned more about myself and about others in the last few months than I had for years in New Orleans. I wish I'd been a bit more socially well-adjusted before coming, but I feel like things are going quite well.

Blushing a bit, Alec ploughed ahead.

My...uh...living situation is excellent, I've made decent contacts in clan, I know some outsiders so I am not totally insular, business is going well, feed cycles are off the ground, I've found some local artists to support and I've taken to merc work much more readily here than I'd expected. Simon knew where my talents would be best utilized and managed to keep me to projects where my skills and...um...oddity...would be of benefit. There have been a lot of surprises, especially on the G...um...aw hell, on the Ginnie front, but all of them good.

Rubbing his hand messily through his hair, grinning like an idiot, he finished with

I can honestly say I can't recall the last time things were going so well...but with my memory as messed up as it is, I can't say for sure, I suppose.

Chuckling, Alec leaned back again, wondering how bad a razzing he was going to get from Nova on the Ginnie issue. He supposed it was part of "chumming with the buds," but it was still something that he didn't understand the social rules around. Hopefully he hadn't had any serious failings in etiquette...he was pretty sure he hadn't screwed up anywhere along the line, but like so many other things with this city, he was flying pretty blind.

Nova had helped him get his bearings once already...maybe this could be the start of a good trend.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova waved off the concerns about the stools, well aware of the fact that they got uncomfortable after a while. Most of the time she was moving around or standing in here and would only grab a seat for a couple minutes at a time.

“Ginnie’s a great chick. Sounds like I don’t have to tell you that though.” She gave Alec a wink, though she stored that little bit of info away.

“I think Simon might be getting out soon anyway but naw, that was a nice thought. If it were me I’d get him a stiff drink, figure he might be needing one soon. Anyway…yeah, think having his back is the most important thing.”

She only realized when Alec mentioned it that she was calling Kyle by his last name, and wondered if that was some pathetic attempt to put more distance between them.

“Yeah, they’re one and the same. Evans is…”

Nova looked up at the ceiling, considering just how to describe Kyle without saying anything incredibly stupid like ‘an incredibly brave guy’ or ‘hung like a bear.’

Hung like a bear? God, what was she thinking?

“…er. A reporter for the Times. You brought him something? I was going to see him, actually, dug up a few things from his home and we need to talk shop a little.”

She raised her eyebrows at Alec’s positive report of Nachton, somewhat surprised that he was so…content in the midst of all the current upheaval.

Though, she reasoned, Ginnie might have something to do with that.

Hell. Maybe Kyle was right about the benefits of necking.

“Well. Sounds like you’re home then.” She shot him a grin. “I’m glad; I knew you were a keeper. Anyway, I don’t want to keep you on these torture devices; wanna go pay Kyle a visit?”

She thought, on reflection, that it might not be a bad idea to have Alec along. She doubted Kyle would try his little ‘oh, you have lovely eyes’ bullshit with another person in the room. She turned to Alec and considered asking him why guys do that, try to get in your head and make you think things that were obviously untrue, but instead pushed off her stool.

“I just have to get something from the back first.”
Blushing, Alec nodded.

Yes...yes she certainly is. Even manages to put up with me.

Watching Nova curiously as she tried to describe Kyle was...strange. It was like she was reaching around for the least offensive thing to say in the circumstances. Could he really be that bad? Maybe he was misinterpreting. That was a possibility.

“…er. A reporter for the Times. You brought him something? I was going to see him, actually, dug up a few things from his home and we need to talk shop a little.”

Um...a reporter. Saved his clan leader. And the reporter wasn't dead. Alec was clearly missing something here.

Wait. Hold the phone.

Shuddering a bit, Alec shook his head and stood, clearly agitated.

A REPORTER!? Tell me we're bringing him on board, because if not I'm a LOT confused as to why he's not on today's buffet menu! Tell me there's a plan here surrounding this guy! And yes, I still want to see him, because he did good by us...but...a reporter?! Why couldn't he be a garbageman or a damn flower arranger!

Shaking his head, Alec calmed himself down, speaking aloud.

Ok, all better. Well, Simon'll have a plan. That's why he's the boss. It'll be a good one. We'll just pretend he's not a reporter and everything is all good. Sure. Let's go visit.

Oh...one more thing. Why is he hanging out here? He clearly made it through the mine field intact despite his best efforts...he get dinged up down below? Or security reasons?

Grabbing his satchel, he waited for Nova's return.
Nova 18 years ago
“Yeah, well, hurt her and I’ll break your legs…once they’re healed from whatever she does to you. We girls have to stick together.”

Nova grinned wickedly to indicate she was almost kidding, but pulled a face at Alec’s less than positive reaction to the news on Kyle’s identity, realizing belatedly that she might have tried to soften that particular blow. She hadn’t taken the news all that well herself, though, and maybe it was better that he knew before those two were face to face.

“Oh, no one actually believes a damn thing he writes; he’s known about us for a bit now, though it’s only recently that he –really- knew…hell, it’s kind of complicated I guess. Anyway, Marthinus is keeping him backed off, or he was, but honestly I don’t know what’s going to happen to him now. For some reason he’s wanted alive. But yeah, I’m sure there’s a plan.”

Shaking her head, she pulled her hair out of its ponytail and retied it while she considered how to explain Kyle’s current condition.

“He was brought in by the other guys, apparently, though I guess it’s possible Ellis arranged his presence and didn’t tell anyone…anyway, they fucked him up pretty bad and right now he’s coming down from eternity. Not in the best of shape right now.” She shrugged, figuring that about summed it up. “Went through all that…and still saved Simon. Talk about sticking your neck out.”

Wrinkling her nose at the high praise, she gestured for Alec to stay where he was and palmed open the door to her ‘inner lab’. After shutting the door behind her, she shrugged on a labcoat and grounded herself before opening yet another door with her palm and walking inside. She walked around the edge of the dimly lit room, not bothering to turn on the lights as she would only be there for a minute. A flash of a retinal scan later and she was opening the tall refrigerator-like cabinet that stored the prototype drugs ready for testing.

She used tongs to pull out two red pills and put them in a small plastic bag, then sealed it and put it in her cargo pocket.

Walking back into the open lab, she locked up behind herself and grinned at Alec.

“Sorry about all that; we kinda keep things under wraps. Shall we?”
Chuckling, Alec wondered what damage Nova could do to him after Ginnie was through.

Hehe...I'm pretty sure she could take care of me without leaving any evidence or breaking a sweat. About the only thing you could do is figure out a way to reconstitute my remains and let her destroy me all over again. Besides, I'm the doe eyed innocent here! She's the cradle robber!

Nodding at Evans' description as a writer, Alec felt a bit more comfortable.

Ah, so people kind of treat him like he writes for the Weekly World News, then? That's all good. Makes me feel a lot better about things. Also makes sense why Ellis might have wanted him to be there - validation for his perspective even if everyone thinks he's a nutter. She would have known he'd never get the support, even with proof, so it becomes a lingering, subtle torture.

Watching Nova process through her security, Alec was reminded of his next pet project. The new retinal scanners were much better than the previous generations - the unguided and limited duration flash made it much, much more difficult to fake out. The bypasses were also fairly well protected. He'd have to take a crack at them sometime...preferably in a lab environment rather than on the fly.

Those new retinal scanners are nice. Know where I can pick up a spare for research purposes? Oh, and lead the way - no clue where I am going.

((ooc: Alec out, following Nova))
Nova 18 years ago
Nova snorted at the ‘doe eyed innocent’ remark and gave Alec a calculated look. She supposed he might have a point, but you just never knew with men. Even so, no doubt Ginnie could hold her own.

She nodded in absent agreement with Alec’s assessment of Kyle’s situation, privately thinking the guy was obviously just put on earth to annoy her.

Opening the door, she spoke over her shoulder to answer his next question as they walked out into the hall.

“I’ll be talking to some of the engineers about those lenses anyway; if you want I can ask them, or you could come with me and talk to them yourself. And Kyle’s room is….this way. I think. Fucking building’s so damn big…”

/ooc Out and onward!