Flannigan's Pub (attn: Fallon)

The outside of the pub was gray concrete with narrow windows boasting neon signs. The door was painted green. Inside the air held the faint scent of boiled potatoes and cabbage along with a faint sausage spice to it. The wooden floor is scuffed to a dull black, though meticulously clean for a bar.

The tables are thick wood on sturdy legs. Some boast four chairs, while others six or even eight. There is a short line of booths made of the same dark wood, with high wooden backs and green vinyl cushions that line one wall. These generally sit empty on all but the busiest of nights, as they are the furthest from the bar.

The bar is a miracle in and of itself. Polished mohogany top scarred from long use and worn by many hands. The brass foot pole is bolted to the floor, not the treasured wooden bar. Behind the bar is a painting of Ireland in vibrant oils.

Flannigan's boasts a cafe and has always had a strict no smoking policy, due to the original Mrs. Flannigan being allergic. Four generations of actual Flannigan's have run the bar, with many cousins earning their keep there as well. It was moderately busy, with over half of the tables taken up by large loud men who ate and drank here every night.

Cyrus watched from the shadows. His golden eyes reflecting every beam of light in the dark. The alley behind the pub was clean and free from street people, its roof was slanted but posed no challenge to the leopard who watched atop it, cloaked in shadows. He had five minutes to wait before entering, perhaps he could catch a glimpse of Fallon entering.

Fallon 18 years ago
It wasn't terribly dark inside, and coming from the night outside, Fallon could see the details of the pub immediately.

A raucous laughter filled the place and she smiled, liking it right off the bat. It would be a little difficult having a conversation there, but it could be done.

Seeing an empty booth, and recognizing they would hold a bit more privacy, Fallon made her way around the tables, dodging a few of the more randy patrons. She refused to get upset by a bunch of half buzzed men who were just having a good time. Besides, she was feeling quite brave tonight.

She took the seat that faced the door, to better see Cyrus when he arrived. A bowl of pretzels had already been placed on the table, and she picked one up to toy with, as she waited.
Cyrus 18 years ago
Tail twitching in the darkness, Cyrus watched two couples venture out of the bar and down the street. He waited until they had gone before shifting and gliding down in a deep shadow. Straightening his clothes he briefly patted the various knives secreted in his coat. Throwing all caution to the wind was just not in his nature.

Walking into the street lights and into the bar he found Fallon at a booth. Perfect. He caught the eye of a young waitress and nodded as he made his way to the booth.

"Fallon, great to see you again." Cyrus said as he slid into the booth oposite her. The waitress was quick to follow him and ask if she could get them anything. With a nod at Fallon he motioned for her place her order with the young lady.
Fallon 18 years ago
Her mind hadn't the time to drift off, before Cyrus walked in the door. There was nothing boyish about him. He was a man in command of himself and the situation, and it was evident to Fallon just from the way he walked, and held himself.

"Thank you Cyrus. I'm happy to see you again as well, though I feel compelled to tell you...I've never done this before. I've never accepted an invitation, even for something as innocuous as a drink, from a stranger."

She smiled at the waitress, catching what she thought was a skeptical look, but ignoring it.

"I'll have an Irish coffee please, Tullamore Dew, if you have it, if not Jamesons is fine."

Having been married to a drinker, Fallon learned a lot about alcohol early in her marriage.

Once Cyrus had ordered, and the waitress had left, she picked up where she had left off. She was feeling oddly talkative tonight.

She wanted to ask him if he made it a practice to pick up women in convenience stores, but that thought was fleeting. She wasn't rude by nature.

"So Mr. Arslantai, tell me about yourself. Have you lived in Nachton long?"

Normally that might have felt somewhat forward for Fallon...just jumping in and going right to the point. But she wasn't really that skilled in the art of flirting, so it was that, or sit there like a lump.
Cyrus 18 years ago
The impressive knowledge displayed by Fallon made him wonder just how intimately acquainted with the Irish she was. Perhaps a native, of what century he would have to wait and find out. Though she could be like the Flannigan's and have family, thus very knowledgable in a human way.

With a smile at the waitress he placed his order.
"Guinness and a plate of chips."

Turning his attention to the brunette across the table he listened to her. "Cyrus please. I normally only force business acquaintances to stumble over Arslantai." He commented with a chuckle.

"I have been here for several months. I have made it my home until I am needed overseas. There are many places of interest here, the town is a haven for cultural and artistic communities. I quite enjoy Nachton."

"And yourself?"
Fallon 18 years ago
Tossing the pretzel into her mouth, while Cyrus ordered, she chewed, and listened while he answered her question.

"I've only been here a few days, though in most ways it seems more like a few months. But I too am making Nachton my home. That's why I was thrilled tonight to have been successful in finding a place to live. The Piazza is nice, but a bit pricy for a lengthy stay. And now, until I find employment, I'm afraid I'm going to be watching my dollars.

But I don't mean to bore you with all those mundane details. Suffice to say tonight has been lucky for me in many ways."

'There...that wasn't so bad now, for an attempt to flirt, was it?' Fallon gave Cyrus a small grin, and a look in her eyes that should have left no doubt to the fact that she was considering him to be part of her luck.

Though for every two steps forward, it was natural for her to take one back. Ted, the ex, had been very friendly and pleasant in the beginning as well. What helped her now was the fact that Ted only changed after marriage...and Fallon certainly had no such thoughts in her head now, nor would she even begin to again for years to come.

"Is it your job that takes you overseas, or do you visit family?
Cyrus 18 years ago
Nodding at her assessment of her first few days in town. "I had the same feeling. The first few days of trying to settle in seem to stretch on forever. Feel free to expand on this, I know where your coming from. And this is in no way boring."

Trying to figure out a way to gloss over the Manor that he now 'lived' at, he inspected the bowl of pretzels. Finding them lacking he sat back with a miniscule shrug of one shoulder.

"I fear I am a creature of habit. I keep a suite at the Piazza when I need to be in town and a place out past even the suburbs when I want to get away from it all." That was perfect subtle and true, but not descriptive enough for anyone to realize he spoke of the haven for Anantya.

"I am lucky enough to be independently wealthy. I own several companies which collect rare historic items and resell them to collectors. Mostly I let the CEO's manage the mundane things but I am sometimes called on to make judgement calls on items." His business thought he had a team of researchers digging into the authenticity of the items, and he did. But some he could recognize on site. It was a very appropriate business for a him to be in, especially when he kept the best items for his own collections.

"What kind of work do you do? I had read that Nachton's unemployment rate was very low, so you should not have to worry overlong."
Fallon 18 years ago
Expand on it...oh were it only possible. Right now there was one thing Fallon would have given just about anything for, and that was someone like her. Someone who knew what she had REALLY gone through, and who could answer her questions.

Damn Panos for either leaving town, or ignoring her calls. To do 'this' to a person and then just hang them out to dry...in Fallon's mind it was reprehensible. And that was being kind.

Though if Fallon told Cyrus what she now was, she was pretty sure his comment on boredom would be honest.

She couldn't help the wistful look that crossed her face, when he spoke of being wealthy. First Rorri, and now Cyrus...Fallon had never met anyone of wealth before she came to Nachton, and now two people in one day. How simple her life would be if she only had money.

"Your job sounds exciting...seeing all those antiquities, not just to see them, but to actually feel them...hold them in your hands. Things that have been around for hundreds of years, and were held or touched by people who lived lives much like us, only so differently.

I was lucky enough to see the King Tut exhibit when it went through town, and just marveled at everything. Its almost inconceivable to me to think something I have or create now, might be around a year from now. There's no way I could think of something lasting a thousand years."

She was rambling, and stopped. It was fortunate that the waitress chose that time to return with their drinks. She sipped the coffee, and closed her eyes with a smile.

"Tullamore...so good."

Opening her eyes, she picked up another pretzel, but more to give her hands something to do. That way she didn't chew on her fingers, which was a habit she was bound and determined to break.

"I taught junior high back home...I'm a teacher. I taught English, and subbed Home Economics, Math...even History on occasion. But none of the schools in the area have any current openings. I've even put in a resume at the university, but don't hold much hope.

If worse comes to worse, I've also waited tables, and done some secretarial...administrative assisting is what they call it these days, I think.

I met a woman at the Piazza who owns a car dealership...she said I could call her if nothing else came up. But I don't know how well I'd be at selling cars."

Fallon spoke with a woman who had hope. She would never want anyone to feel sorry for her, or think she was less than positive she would find some form of employment, and soon.
Cyrus 18 years ago
His smile was somewhat indulgent and his comments supremely self assured. "I believe History is what we make it. While the things we trade in can be amazing, so much so that I myself collect them. There are more times than not, ordinary or standard type items, gained through estate sales as a younger generation does not appreciate their Great great Grandfathers armor or swords. It can be very sad to watch culture slowly fade as new things become the norm."

There's no way I could think of something lasting a thousand years.

Through supreme force of will he restrained a grimace at her comment. He himself was older than that. In fact most of his collection predated that. Another large difference between humans and vampires. He should concede that not all vamps were over a thousand but since he generally disregarded those, it did not cross his mind.

"Thank you." Cyrus nodded as the waitress delivered their drinks. She told him it would be just one more minute for the chips as he handed her a folded hundred dollar bill. "Let me know when that runs out."

A Teacher how interesting. He listened to her list her skills realizing that perhaps she had even more options than she had realized. "I am sure there are many alternative learning centers that always require English as a second language teachers. Though most classes are held at night. You could check with the community center, it is near the YMCA off of the Strip."

The waitress hustled back with a large basket of chips one a platter. There were small crocks of dips from ketchup to tartar sauce to malt vinegar. This was quite a place. He would have to thank his driver for mentioning it.

"So where did you teach school prior? Here in the states? If you don't mind my asking."
Fallon 18 years ago
His words held her interest as some of the things he referred to hit home.

"Yes, I totally agree with what you're saying about kids today. It pains me to see how they disregard not only history in general, but how it figures into their lives specifically. I think part of that is our fault though. We've made it so easy for them. Everything they want they want NOW, and usually get it NOW. Their parents really aren't doing them any favors either. When they don't have to work for things, they start to take everything for granted.

I regret I never knew more about my heritage. I've always felt a part of myself was missing because of it."

She casually shrugged, having finally come to terms with the matter.

His suggestion about teaching English to adults had merit...especially the idea that the classes would all be at night. Her eyes lit up as she thought about the idea further.

"Thank you, Cyrus, for that great idea! I can't believe I hadn't thought of it myself. As you can see, I'm pretty much a night owl as well, and that would be ideal. I'll be sure to check with them later today."

She reached across the table and gave his arm a soft squeeze, before picking up her mug for another sip. Though her desire for food seemed to have dissipated, she was glad she could still enjoy a nice 'adult' beverage. The Irish coffee was having a wonderfully relaxing effect on her.

At his last question, she had to look at him twice.

"Are you really sure you want to hear about all this? I mean, I don't mind really, but to someone like you, who leads such an exciting life..."

She was unaccustomed to anyone being interested in her, and with all she had spoke of tonight, was sure she must be on the verge of putting the man to sleep.

"You've really been more than kind, already."
Cyrus 18 years ago
He should not be impressed that she too missed the depth of heritage that plagued today's societies. Of course her being a teacher could contribute to that feeling. The thought of watching all those young annoying children for too many hours a day almost made him shudder in fear.

He had been quite surprized by her touching him. Interesting perhaps he had won at least a small measure over the cashier at that convenience store.

"I dont know that exciting is the term, different perhaps. But I have enough experience to know that everyone sees things just a bit differently. So please, do go on. I would hate to have to bore you with boring facts about tweleve hundred year old rag dolls or cooking pottery."

He took one of the thickly cut wedges of potato and dipped it into the vinegar. It was good. A taste he had not partaked of in centuries. His driver really did need a big tip he thought as his eye lids grew heavy as the warm salty potato flavor spread over his tastbuds.

"Kind? No, practical. You may not realize how difficult it is to find sober and inteligent conversation at this hour." He said with a grin once he had finished his chip. He waited for her to continue.
Fallon 18 years ago
Cyrus

"Kind? No, practical. You may not realize how difficult it is to find sober and inteligent conversation at this hour."

"Touche'"

She responded, though her experiences in that realm were limited, she would guess they would be expanding now. For a split second she even started getting anxious, thinking about the lack of companionship to be found during the late morning hours. Another sip of the coffee, and she had it all under control. If she could meet Alyssa and Cyrus, surely there were more people about. She would just need to find the places that harbored them...such as this wonderful pub.

"Nothing I've heard yet has been at all boring, but I'll humor you...it's the least I can do. For yes, I am sober for the time being.

I grew up, and went to school on the west coast...Seattle? But after I married we settled in his home town of Wilmington, in North Carolina. That's where I've been teaching...or was teaching, up until about three weeks ago. Then I just packed up, got into my car, and started driving. I got a flat tire just outside Nachton, and took that as a sign to settle here. That pretty much brings you up to date."

Of course, everything about running away from a husband who had beaten her, up through having been made into a vampire, had been omitted. She didn't want to bother Cyrus with the small stuff.

"Now, bore me please...tell me about where you're from, and how you happened to wind up here."

The waitress brought them both refills, and Fallon smiled with a quick 'thank you'.
Cyrus 18 years ago
A lazy lopsided grin and one eyebrow quirked up at the bergouning flirtatiousness Fallon exhibitted. She seemed unconcious of it and perhaps a bit untutored.

"Seatle to North Carolina to Nachton. That is quite a trip."

With a savored sip of his beer he contemplated just how to explain himself to her. One just simply did not say that they were one of the Mongol Horde.

"My life is pretty simple. I started collecting antiques at a young age whenever I found them. My businesses were formed to take up the chore of actually sifting through the things I would not wish to keep to find the good stuff. Various other collectors pay us a finders fee. I have lived most of my life bouncing around China, England, America, Taiwan and several other countries that no longer exist."

It was hard enough to remember what country in South East Asia was which, when he could mostly only picture it as specific Kahn's kingdoms. There was no way he could keep up with the 20th centuries rapidly changing Eurasian country names.

"Mostly I collect weaponry, armor and pottery. Some are specific collections to Chinese, Hun or Mongol Dynasties but not always. I do have one rag doll, with a tuft of yak hair upon its head that is 8th century Mongol." He smiled at the thought of the doll. His mother had kept it safe since her own had hand sewn it. He knew the impression he gave was that he came from a rich family. It was deliberate and could not have been farther from the truth but the omission served him well to explain away his outward youth and obvious wealth.

"Well then, there you have it. Mine is no more riveting than History Channel repeats." His grin was wider, almost exposing a fang as he returned his attention to the chips. The tartar sauce was good, tangy on his tongue.

"I am a bit perplexed by one thing though. You said you just packed up. Will your husband be following you now that you are settled?" Since she had not spoken of the husband or marriage in the past tense he had to conclude that they were perhaps moving and she was the scout to find the right place to live.
Fallon 18 years ago
'Will your husband be following you now that you are settled?'

"God I certainly hope not."

Fallon answered almost before Cyrus had finished the question. While the whiskey was making her feel better than good, it was also loosening her tongue up a bit. And since she had been talking so long, she forgot she was still talking to someone she barely knew. She was definitely getting to know him better, but yet...

"Oh well...he can't hurt me now."

She said, more to herself than anyone.

"I left my husband...he has no idea where I am...at least that's the plan. And unless he's been hit with a sudden case of energy, and lack of self centeredness, he won't be coming to find me any time soon either."

Though she probably shouldn't go on anymore...she didn't like people feeling sorry for her...she felt to do less would leave her cast in a bad light. And why should she still suffer for his inadequacies.

"He...wasn't the kindest man...and I was getting a bit tired of hospital bills, and the sad eyes I would meet when I visited the emergency rooms. So I began putting money aside, a little at a time, until I had enough to get me here."

She laughed heartily now...at an inside joke it would appear. Little did she know that in doing so, a tiny point of her fang became visible. It was gone in a flash though, as she never laughed long.

"Just let him come looking for me now."

Also unintentionally, she had become slightly introspective now...her mind curling around the thought of what she might do to him if he was to appear on her door step.
Cyrus 18 years ago
His pierced brow arched quite high. He was qute stunned that in this day and age men still abused their wives. That was not uncommon in his century either, but that generally resulted in one of two outcomes; the woman poisoned the man or her family beat him worse than she had received.

"Please accept my apologies for bringing up a painful subject. Would you like me to have him killed for you?" He added with a very predatory look.

Listening too her laugh, thinking perhaps the man simply needed to disappear. He cocked his head to the side for a brief moment. Just then she had looked, different, for lack of a better word. He could not quite place what exactly he had spied, but he made a point to keep sharp.

The beer was making him warm, so he slipped off his coat and folded it neatly along the bench he sat upon. Casually he placed his left ankle across his right knee which put the knife in his boot close enough for him to feel comfortable.

"Do you have a lawyer? To either press charges or file for divorce." A devious light filled his eyes as an evil grin spread across his face. One fang would have been visible if he had not been stroking the outside portion of it with his tongue at the time.

"I would be quite happy to have my lawyer in California begin proceedings for you."
Fallon 18 years ago
"Oh apologies aren't necessary. The subject is a lot less painful now, than it was a couple weeks ago."

She had to bite her tongue to stop from laughing at his next remark. He was obviously being very gallant, but to offer to get rid of Ted, just like that, took Fallon a little off guard. It wasn't something she heard every day...'would you like me to have him killed for you?' It must have been the nonchalant way he said it, that made it sound so funny.

She still looked at him a bit queer, trying to make sure he was being serious, before she answered.

"No thank you. He really is no longer a problem at all, though it is nice having someone offer to be my champion. You truly are of the old school, Cyrus. It gives me more hope for the future, to know men like you are still being brought up. I truly thought you had all become extinct.

When he removed his coat, Fallon admired his broad shoulders. Had Ted been there now, she knew he would have come up obviously lacking.

"I would so love to be divorced from him. That part of my life is best put away forever. But no, I have no lawyer, nor the money to hire one at the moment. Maybe once I get a job I'll be able to save for it."

At least she didn't have to worry about him coming after her now.

Cyrus' offer of a lawyer in California was difficult to pass up...but she couldn't afford to owe anyone right now. And a favor that large would most surely require repayment of one kind or another.

"You are really very kind to offer to go to all that trouble, but I just can't accept. It wouldn't be proper."

And again she reached across to caress his hand, hoping he didn't take her lack of acceptance as a personal rejection. Men could be funny that way sometimes.
Cyrus 18 years ago
With a nod of understanding he let it go. Love and hate were inexplicably twined, indiference simply was the absence of both, which esentially made the person cease to matter. Most things did not matter too much to Cyrus. Sure he cared about his collections, jungle and familiars but other than that he found it unable to provoke deeper emotions from him. Perhaps that was a flaw in himself.

He restrained a frown as she turned hiim down. So few people today took him up on his offers to remove problems. Was hard to gather a good skull pile these days he thought with a smirk.

He listened too her compliment him and then decline his offer. As she touched his hand he kept the leopard firmly leashed, lest he purr in satisfaction. Despite her refusal, she was willing to get to know him more.

"Well, the offer stand should you ever need it. The poor fellow would probably be thrilled for a change of pace rather than moulding under tax code and importation tarriffs."

Cyrus stayed silent for a moment as the waitress came over with a plate of crusty bread, sliced sausage and cheeses along with refills for their drinks. She smiled and let them know it was complimentary, just in case they were hungry.

"You wouldn't happen to be interested in viewing gardens or a museum or even a play would you?" Taking his chances on furthering their acquaintance once the waitress left them alone, he awaited her reply.
Fallon 18 years ago
"I will be certain to come to you first, as soon as I am in the market for a lawyer. I wouldn't have any idea of who to hire on my own. It is a relief to know at least that is one less problem I will have to deal with."

It never was easy turning down someone's offer of help, but Fallon just wouldn't have felt right doing otherwise. He didn't seem terribly offended, and had let the offer remain, so she had to hope everything was fine.

In fact, his next words supported her assumption, and she smiled, very relieved.

"My goodness Cyrus, you'll have my head turned every which way if you keep this up."

It was more than flattering that he still expressed an interest in spending time with her.

"The gardens...a museum...or a play? Such tempting offers. So tempting in fact, I would be very foolish not to accept. All of those sound exciting to me, since I haven't been to any of them."

Fallon was excited even more so now. It seemed she had truly met a nice man, and one who honestly seemed interested in her.

"May I leave the choice up to you, and just say I would be delighted, and thank you?"

Suddenly Fallon had a thought. She had completely lost track of time, and was afraid it was nearing sunrise.

"Not to change the subject, but do you have any idea what time it is?"

And how was she to gracefully exit this date, without appearing rude?
Cyrus 18 years ago
With a self assured smiled Cyrus finished his beer. "I have tomorrow night free if you are interested in viewing the Vesper Gardens. Perhaps we will even find time to visit the Arch as well."

He did not want to wait overly long lest she get cold feet or meet someone else. He hated cold food.

When she mentioned the time she seemed almost panicked. Which could be just a reaction from her past relationship, but it made him wonder.

"The sun should be rising in 45 minutes. I only have to wait out another 30 in case I am needed last minute for something."

He gently covered her hand with his. "Thanks for making this evening enjoyable. Its hard to make friends in a new town and I am honored if you consider me one."
Fallon 18 years ago
"Tomorrow night would be very nice."

She didn't know what the Gardens or Arch were, and would have really rather seen a play, but she had given him the option of choosing. Maybe there would be a second date, and they could do that then.

Picking up one of the Flannigan napkins, she took a pen from her purse and jotted her cell number on it, before handing it to him.

"If you would like to call for me, I can usually be ready in about a half hours notice."

Fallon had very little experience in dating, and next to none when it came to men such as Cyrus, so she hoped it was okay to give him her number that way.

However, thoughts of tomorrow became secondary, and her mild concern became almost blind panic when Cyrus said they had less than an hour. She had to get back to the hotel before then, or risk...

Though she still had questions and concerns about a lot that Panos had told her, enough of what he had said came true. She was in no way going to tempt fate now, by ignoring something as potentially deadly.

"That's my call then. I should have told you sooner, but I perish in sunlight."

Not having time or the ability to think of anything snappy to say, she decided the truth was far fetched enough to fall into that category. Much like saying she would melt in the rain. She did manage a sincere laugh when she made the statement, and couldn't imagine he would read it as anything other than a witty remark.

His hand felt oddly comforting, and she patted her other hand on top of his.

"I do consider you a friend, and vice versa. This has been a most unusual, yet quite enjoyable night."

She stood up, determined to get back to the hotel with time to spare.

"Will you walk me out to my car?"
Cyrus 18 years ago
Cyrus was pleased at her acceptance of his ideas and took her number on the napkin. He knew though that his cell phone had stored the number she had called from earlier. Some modern things were such a convenience. After he fed tomorrow he would call her. The flowers may put her in a romantic mood so he could get his fangs on her neck.

His brow arched up quite high at her dramatic statement.
"Perish is a bit dramatic, but I would hate to smolder in the early morning sun personally."

Once she was done patting his hand he stood up and dropped another bill upon the table as he slipped on his coat. The cool comfort of his hiden blades made him feel superemly confident. "Sure, lets go."