All Things Bright and Beautiful

Meegan stood at the entry door into the Ballroom. So far the crown was tickling in slowly, but it was just barely 8:15 and they had a good forty-five minutes until people considered themselves late. She greeted each person as they entered. Her low cut gown, a color almost a pale as her skin, was set off by a diamond pendant in the shape of a heart. Her hair was piled high on her head with small ringlets whisping about her face and neck. Her make-up was pale and sparkled when the light hit it just right. Her gloved hand slid firmly into the pudgy hand of some east coast land owner, one that she knew would be drunk by dinner's end and very loose with his wallet.

She had had glances of Rachyl through out the preparations and they had connected briefly to wish each other good luck and then been on their separate ways. She saw her just now, smiling and chatting with a couple from the theater set.

She looked back to smile and meet the next guest.

((ooc feel free to join in. Take a look at Before the Gala for a list of the silent auction.))

Rachyl 18 years ago
A flash spotted out of the corner of her eye made Rachyl want to look in that direction, but the couple before her had engaged, nay demanded, full attention and respect.

It wasn't every day she got to shake hands with the two lead actors from the city's opera house.

"It also wasn't every day you had to tell them that you, a supposed professed lover of the arts, had not seen the last three operas at the Opera House, never mind that you have only been in town six months."

"Wow, six months?"

The thought disappeared from her head as the very tall European woman before her boomed - do womens' voices boom? This woman seemed like a freight train coming down a mountain - that she "oh so definately" needed to see the show and offered "first class balcony seats, just call" such and such a guy... Rachyl's brain filed the information in the business portion of her mind, and she felt her cheeks pulling into a sincere smile. Then when her ever-offending curl dropped into her field of view, she could do nothing to move it.

Her hair was set "just so" and if she tried to brush it back she'd likely mess up her 'do. She'd allowed it to get longer over the last few months - a lack of styling Meegan hadn't complained about - though had gone to the designer's stylist for the occasional trim. Her memory-brain kicked in as she remembered the first trip...

"OH, dear, tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk! You shouldn't use straightener with your hair! It's looooooooovleeeee! Let those curls out! Go with some spring! A little extra bounce for a tiny little package like you!" It had taken all Rachyl's willpower not to focus all the power in her "tiny little package" into her quadricep and propel her hard, rounded shoe's tip into the groin of the annoying gay man before her. But then she saw Meegan waving frantically. Later, almost laughing herself hoarse, Meegan had explained that he called -every- new client a "tiny little package" and meant nothing by it.

The next trip, she mentioned offhandedly that she'd almost kicked him, and it became a stylist-client joke between them. She liked Rick.

He'd done a wonderful job on her hair tonight. She had her own pair of ringlets to match Meegan's, but the back and bottom was quite different. Crimson tresses were braided, bound, and looped into each other, creating a look that briefly made her think she looked like a beaver sat on her head. The weight on the top of her back was quite unusual, but she didn't move her head much to bother worrying about it.

The couple finally left her alone for a moment, passing on beyond her and leaving Rachyl standing in the middle of nowhere, next to the entrance. Her eyes scanned the room, hoping to see Nyra or Connie. Meegan had been so thrilled when Nyra offered to donate the paintings, and she knew Connie was proud of her lover.

Then her gold-flecked green eyes landed upon the single sight she truly wanted to see... Meegan, smiling and laughing with yet another patron of the children.

Her bare hand flicked out as a waiter walked by with a tray of sparkling cider... Rachyl didn't want to drink tonight; it would set a bad example for the kiddies! She sipped of the fluted glass as she passed a mirrored ceiling support.

Deep, cranberry red hugged her curves tonight. Indeed, she felt like a giant cranberry, but the dress screamed out to her when she saw it. She felt... holiday-ish. Matronly, almost. Indeed, the feeling she believed she engendered when speaking to all the patrons, donors, and do-gooders that she'd shaken hands with tonight was that of a diminutive Mrs. Claus, to the Mz. Claus that Meegan was portraying tonight. The wide bell of her gown tickled at her feet as she walked, the low flats of her cranberry shoes making nary a sound. She was glad she'd chosen the three-quarter length sleeves... Even though her first giddy inclination was to get something that allowed her to wear gloves. Rachyl also didn't mind the cleavage it almost displayed, accented with an exact matching heart pendant like Meegan's. In the office Meegan had set aside for the two of them as a "cloak room" her purse sat next to a rather festive, wide red sash, a shade between the red of her hair, and the cranberry of her gown. Meegan had nearly flipped out when she tried to slip it on. The lack of the sash was the only thing she didn't like about her outfit tonight.

Her reverie was brightened as she caught Meegan's eyes briefly, offering a warm smile, then turned to the person calling her name.
Ginnie 18 years ago
Ginnie slid her hand into the one Alec offered her from outside the limo they had rented. She felt like a movie star. Her dress looked like melted sliver had been poured down her body and was being held on by the tiny straps that graced her shoulders. The material clung to every curve making it impossible for her to be armed. She had thought to wear a knife clipped to her panties, but the slit up her right leg that ended just where her thigh joined her body, prevented her even wearing panties.

She settled for a gun in her clutch, but every woman knows you can never find a gun in a purse even when the gun is the only thing in there besides a lipstick and a credit card.

Three inch heels and a tasteful necklace, completed her outfit. She and Alec had gone shopping together and when they went to pick jewelry she had decided on a liquid silver chain with a dolphin pendant, with a diamond for an eye and he had chosen a silver cross for her. It was lovely, but she wasn't about to say. "No dear I can't wear a cross. That whole burning a hole in my chest thing would so ruin the look just a bit." So she just shook her head and wrinkled her nose, before paying for the dolphin.

She smiled at her lover and linked her arm in his. She thought he looked especially yummy, but then she was biased. Ginnie was very excited, she'd always wanted to meet Meegan Masters. She loved the lines she put out every season and a few pieces from both her couture line and the one sold in Hot Topic type stores. And she hadn't been to a silent auction in a long time and was hoping to get in the middle of a bid war, all for the kids of course. 'Of course.'

"Shall we?"
Alec Devereaux 18 years ago
A ball being held in winter said one thing to Alec - ice and snow. The prepwork had taken a bit of time - finding a skilled wigmaker who understood exactly what he wanted without having to sacrifice his own hair was a difficulty, but the contour cap was comfortable, and short of a collision like at their last social event would certainly not come loose. The hairpiece was done in all white and silver strands, done up to mimic ice shards radiating from the false scalp. He had put on a cream base he had discovered at a costume shop to approximately replicate the flesh tones of a frostbite victim, even putting a bit of a bluish tinge on his lips for added effect. He had modified his white tuxedo, lining the edges with a light hint of silver, also tracing a touch of silver to the bow tie. His gloves matched - a white set with silver stitching, matching the silver wire rim glasses with a plain glass setting. The final effect was somewhat like a living snow and ice sculpture.

Aware that he looked slightly odd, Alec didn't mind at all...he wasn't interested in what the individuals at the ball thought of him. His primary goal was to give Ginnie a pleasant, memorable night on the town without anyone coming to physical harm or losing any clothing until after the event. If those minor goals were accomplished, he'd be more than happy with the night's results. He'd never been to a silent auction before, so that would be interesting.

Reaching down to Ginnie, he helped her out of the limo, watching her rise. She was devastating in her sheer mercury dress, but the dolphin was still a bit of a disconnect for him. Remembering that she'd have been Catholic, he had offered her a lovely cross the same shade as the dress that she'd turned down a bit abruptly...a story untold, but that hadn't been the time to ask, and this certainly wasn't, either. Smiling at her as she took his arm, he brushed aside the random thoughts, beaming at her in her sleek beauty.

Yes...yes we shall!

Leading her to the doors, it seemed that few others had danced around the black tie requirement, though he was quite pleased to see one man in a very traditional tuxedo with bright pink hair. Content, he paused at the door, not quite sure what Ginnie would want to do first. Pausing, he turned to her, asking

So, what is our first destination, mon coeur? Anything you would like to do first?
Ginnie 18 years ago
Ginnie smiled at him. She didn't think there was going to be anything dull about this evening at all.

"I'd like to meet that lady right there and then check out the auction."

She and Alec crossed to the Ballroom entrance and approached the woman that looked like a spun gold confection.

"Welcome to our Gala. I'm Meegan Masters." A gloved hand was extended and Ginnie slipped her hand into it.

"Ginnie Kavanaugh, and Alec Devereaux." Except Ginnie's accent turned it into Dev'row "This is just lovely thank you for inviting us."
Meegan 18 years ago
Meegan watched the man in the odd costume approach, with one eyebrow raised. Never in her life had she seen such an interpretation of "black tie." 'Well to each his own I guess.' She extended her hand in welcome.

"Welcome to our Gala. I'm Meegan Masters." The grip was firm and the hand warm. She instantly like this very tall woman.

"Ginnie Kavanaugh, and Alec Devereaux. This is just lovely thank you for inviting us."

She liked the accent as well. This Ginnie seemed like an interesting person, especially if she was willing to go out in public with the man on her arm.

"I do hope you enjoy yourselves." She released Ginnie's hand and turned to the couple that had entered behind them. The man, eyeing Alec as though his ice scuplture hair might reach out and grab him.
Grinning, Alec had never heard of her, but had seen her label before. Unequipped to make the connection on his own, Alec asked quietly as they walked away.

Someone famous I should know? Quite a getup, but gold isn't a winter color. Suits her, though.

Winding them on a short tour of the room, he stopped in front of the list of items up for auction. Hm...some of these would make good gifts. Taking a mental note on the queue order and the bid instructions, Alec smirked and steered them back toward the crowd.

Anyone else to seek out? You're driving, dearheart. I'm still a bit overwhelmed by the some of these dresses. Are most of these people fashion designers, or just wealthy as we are?
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl happened upon the couple Meegan had just greeted, as she was on her way back from the kitchen.

"Quite a getup, but gold isn't a winter color. Suits her, though." was all that she heard the man say, but she was so enamored of his outfit, she decided to have a little fun.

"Gold may not be a winter color, sir," she said firmly, and winked secretly at the tall, tall, tall woman next to him, "much like not wearing white after Labor Day, but it is Ms. Masters' event, and as the hostess and Mistress of Ceremonies, she wanted something a bit more striking. You, as well, could be described similarly, though your hair looks like it's about to reach out and touch something."

Sticking out her hand, a cheeky smile stretching her lips, she introduced herself. "Rachyl Walker. I'm Ms. Masters' assistant."
Smiling broadly, Alec nodded.

I've never agreed with that particular little rule...I feel it is a personal affront to Father Time...or Lady Winter, if you will...or the spirits of ice and snow that seek to embrace and smother all life during this time of year. Someone has to appease them, and tonight, that someone is me. Besides...we poor men have so few traditional options for formal dress. In order to be remembered at all, we have to break the rules or be witty, charming and exciting. Since I am none of those things, I have to dress strangely in order to stand a chance against such interesting fellows.

This is Ginnie Kavanagh, I am Alec Devereaux...good to meet you, Rachyl Walker. Quite a setup you have here. Congratulations.
Ginnie 18 years ago
Ginnie whispered an aside to Alec that Meegan Masters is the designer of Gothic-ah just as a red head started speaking to him. She smiled at their exchange and extended her hand to Rachyl. Ginnie liked her dress, but had had enough of poofy things to last her a life time, on Halloween.

"This really is lovely. Alec and I were just about to start bidding. Is there anything of great interest we should be aware of?"
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl amiably shook both their hands and smiled. "But Father Time and Lady Winter's slow waltz together brings us the peppy foxtrot of their daughter, Spring. As with all things, one must experience the ebb and flow of time, the transition of seasons from one to another. Though, unless I miss my guess, you two carry your own Springly warmth?"

With another secret wink to Ginnie, she answered the tall woman's question. "The books are a personal favorite - Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Narnia, that is - though I speak from the heart of a fantasy geek." Wrapping her arm into Ginnie's, she guided the pair through the tables of items for auction. "I'm also a bit partial to the four paintings by Nyra McGurn, she's quite the arteest, and has had a successful showing at Ramsey's Gallery here in town. Also, I'm not quite unbiased, but the Gothic-ah Wardrobe should also prove an interesting option for the fashionistas or folks who like to try something a bit more..." Rachyl wiggled an eyebrow as she whispered, "Risque."

She continued on, "Of course the day of leisure aboard the yacht and the spa day are great for a little get-away or personal relaxation."

Rachyl paused a moment, and put a finger to her chin. "Then again, it's not really what 'we' as gala attendees find of great interest... It's that we're helping children in need, and that's really why we're doing it."

The diminutive redhead shrugged, disengaged from Ginnie, and turned to the pair. "Please excuse my moment of preachiness, I think I just came to a realization about it myself. Feel free to browse around, and enjoy yourselves. I'm sure we'll have a chance to talk later! I'd love to chat, but I've my own duties to attend."

With gracious apology, Rachyl returned to her spot near the door.
Nyra 18 years ago
Nyra and Connie held hands as they entered the Gala. It was quite breathtaking in and of itself. So beautifully decorated and filled already with many beautifully dressed people. Nyra hoped the goddess beside her did not break too many hearts tonight.

Spotting Rachyl greeting them at the door, the artist gently squeezed Connie's hand before giving an excited squeak and hugged the red head.
"Its so fabulous! You ladies sure know how to do things up beautifully. And its for a great cause."

((OOC: You can find descriptions of their outfits in Pre-Gala Pluckiness))
Connie 18 years ago
Connie stood back slightly as Nyra practically tackled the cranberry-clad redhead. Smiling at Nyra's exuberance, she too hugged the diminutive woman when she was able. "Quite impressive, truly. And we're very glad to have been able to help you when you called."

Seperating from Rachyl, she said, "Whenever you are absolved from your doorgreeter duties, I told Nyra she's welcome to dance with you again." Winking at Rachyl, she gave a stage whisper, "I think she enjoyed herself last time."
Rachyl 18 years ago
Rachyl blushed - probably almost as red as her dress or hair - at the constant praise from her two friends. "Well I didn't do it all, but I did certainly enjoy doing whatever it was I did. We were up pretty late a few nights. And I'm very glad you're both here!"

As Connie disengaged from her embrace, then said "I think she enjoyed herself last time," Rachyl blushed again. Reaching for the taller woman's hand, she smiled and squeezing it said, "I know I did too. Thank you for your permission, Connie." With a wink to Nyra, she said, "I would have asked, you know."

Taking the two womens' hands, she said, "And you both look stunning tonight! Wonderful, wonderful gowns. You truly must get a picture with Santa Claus. Or at least in front of the reindeer. And don't forget to check out the auction tables! We added a few things since I gave you the list, Nyra."

Rachyl stood up on her tippytoes and gave each woman an air kiss. "Go on, have fun, and try to say hi to Meegan before the Gala officially starts, I think she was hoping to catch you."
Nyra 18 years ago
She smiled happily as Rachyl blushed. It was so good to see wonderful people do amazing things and still be modest about it.

"I will keep my dance card open, so whenever you are ready just let me know." Realizing she used such an old fashioned turn of phrase, the artist wanted to smack her forehead into her palm. Someday she really needed to stop using archaic terminoligy, even if she found it flowery and compelling.

"Thank you so much! I am sure we will visit with Santa. But first perhaps we should go compliment our other hostess as you recommended. Feel free to come visit us when your co-hostess duties allow."

Clasping Connie's gloved hand in her own the two made their way into the line to greet Meegan.
Meegan 18 years ago
She smiled at Nyra and Connie, holding out her hand. She hated being so stand off-ish, but she really couldn't squeal like a little girl and spin her friends around in a circle like she wanted to. Well she could, but she wasn't fond of the tabloid rumors at the moment and didn't want to add or drag her friends into them.

"You two look lovely." She placed a light kiss on each of Nyra's then each of Connie's cheeks. "Thank you so very much for your contribution, Nyra, they have so far been very popular. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a bid war on those."

She grinned and squeezed the hand with in her own. "Now if you ladies will excuse me, I'm going to abandon Rachyl at the door and go powder my nose. Dinner will be soon, so have a look at the auction before you find a seat. "

She smiled at Nyra and Connie, and sent a wink to Rachyl, before heading off behind one of the panels to a small green room type of thing.

So far the night was beginning very well, Rachyl had taken her place at the door, giving her a few minutes to get a drink of water, sit and replenish her lipstick. As she was entering the ballroom again a small gong sounded in the distance annoucing dinner. She moved to Rachyl's side and smiled, they moved to a table at the center of the room and took their places. At their table sat some man she had never met and a woman that owned a chain of children's clothiers, and then four empty chairs.

The menu for the evening consists of a garden salad, and New England Clam Chowder or an Acorn Squash Bisque. The first course will be served with an assortment of soft beverages or wine.

Followed by a main course of Chicken Cordon Blue, served with a rice pilaf and grilled vegetables, Beef Wellington, served with roasted potatoes, and asparagus, or Portabella enCroute served with grilled baby vegetables with a merlot sauce. Dinner will be served with an assortment of soft beverages or wine.

To finish the meal there will be a choice of Chocolate Amaretto Cheesecake, Fresh Fruit Tart, or beautifully arrange assortment of vegan chocolates from Indulge in Chocolate. Dessert will be served with wine or coffee.
Nyra 18 years ago
Nyra was so thrilled to see Meegan, though she feared the formality of the setting was a bit off-putting. Reminding herself to plan a simple dinner party she brushed the slightly taller woman's cheeks with kisses. Soon she and Connie were seated at their table, chatting with several others. The menu greatly pleased the artist. Meegan and Rachyl had thought of everything!

Leaning over and whispering in Connie's ear she asked the more organized woman to remind her of some very important things to do tomorrow.
"Love, can you please remind me tomorrow to send a formal thank you to Gothica and then an informal thank you to Meegan and Rachyl with an invite to a dinner party?"

She knew that tomorrow she would be caught up in her latest canvas but did not want to forget. Thank goodness Connie was so much more together. They complimented eachother greatly.
Connie 18 years ago
Connie whispered back to Nyra, "Of course dear. I actually would have suggested it, but knew you'd think of it too! You know you'll have to plan the menu. Bacon spaghetti?"

At Nyra's semi-shocked "that wouldn't be appropriate for a dinner party!" look, Connie giggled and quickly pursed her lips in an air kiss to her lover. Turning back to the table, she smiled at Rachyl a table away and turned her gaze to the Mistress of Ceremonies.
Ginnie 18 years ago
Ginnie watched Rachyl walk away and grinned. "I like her, she's funny."

She took Alec's hand and led him toward the auction tables.

"Come on let's go find something to have a bid war over before dinner is served."

She stopped in front of the display for the crystal vases and gave a small gasp.

"Oh, these are lovely."
Chuckling a bit under his breath, Alec nodded in agreement. She had been a pretty clever lady, and certainly had all of the useful information one could ask from a passing stranger. Very useful traits in a personal assistant...perhaps he would watch the development of Rachyl Walker's career. He'd certainly remember her name at the very least - someone at Duibne might need the talent.

Watching Ginnie's reaction to the vases sparked a new reaction within him...the formulation of a non-work related list. Freezing up for a moment, he digested the information before moving again. Polite company was a bad place to commit theft, so he'd have to pay for them...with some of it going to a human charity. "Well, best for kids to grow up well...otherwise they are just snacks. Right. I can't even eat housewives when it might be in their best interest. Tough talk, champ." Deciding that a non-work related list might be good for his social development, Alec smirked.

They'd be great under a minispot to bring out the edges...and even in a soft light environment they have lovely lines.
Rachyl 18 years ago
Between the courses of salad and soup, and the main meal's arrival, Rachyl found her eyes wandering over the tables of people who'd come to support Meegan's cause. It left her feeling warm and fuzzy - and no, she hadn't had anything to drink - and the bonfire of tenderness and caring she harbored for the designer flared. Leaning to Meegan as the soup bowls were cleared away, she whispered, "If I forget to tell you when we get home tonight, I just wanted to say what you've done here is nothing short of amazing, and you are the true Santa Claus for these children this year."