Breakfast at Timothy's

Continued from : Quitting time

Timothy's Diner was nestled in the midst of several of the shops and restaurants that made up the ground floor of The Waterfront. It was a gleeming, nostalgic type of place where tourists went to have a shake or a sundae after spending the day walking the area's attractions and where locals went for huge portions of classic diner fare while enjoying beautiful water views out the glass front wall.

Serena pulled open one of the stainless steel doors and stepped in. This place was always so cheerful to her with black and white checkered floors, aqua and quilted stainless walls, brightly colored vinyl booths and generous amounts of 1950's style touches. The neon fronted juke box next to the entrance was pumping out some classic bubble gum pop into the place for even more atmosphere. Waving at one of the waitresses she knew, she grabbed a couple menus and staked claim on one of the front booths, one sure to have a great view of the sunrise soon and also a good view of the entrance so she could spot Drev when he arrived.

Milazo 18 years ago
The trip over to the diner slipped through Drev's memory. His thoughts had been turned to Serena, and that smile of hers....

Turning the corner, he saw his destination, and a moment later, his date sitting by the window. With wave and a smile, he went in and looked around a moment before walking over to her table.

"Long time, no see," he said with a grin as he slid into the booth. "How was work?"
Serena 18 years ago
When she spotted him coming in she returned his wave with a smile of her own. He slid into the booth across from her and her heart felt like it skipped a beat. She was nervous all over again. "Goood grief get a grip," she chastised herself mentally. "So this is your first date in.. months? a year? Get over it before it's the last!"

Oh yeah.. ages ya know! she agreed, with a little giggle.

She just shook her head and groaned at his question. Please, don't get me started on that. It seemed like everything that could break, did in the last few hours. But.. I am free until tonight!

Opening her menu, she glanced down to see what today's specials were. So, how did you kill the last part of your night?
Milazo 18 years ago
Chuckling, Drev opened his own menu and looked at the choices.

"Coffee and a brownie," he said with a smile. He looked at her a moment longer, then dropped his eyes back to the menu. "I've never eaten here... can you suggest anything?"
Serena 18 years ago
She arched an eyebrow faintly. "Coffee and a brownie huh.. must have been good to kill a couple hours," she giggled to herself. So none of that blade practice you mentioned earlier? Too bad.. men with swords can be sexy.

Glancing back down at the menu Serena pursed her lips, her brow crinkling faintly while she thought about what she'd had here. Speaking slowly, thoughtfuly, she answered.

The chocolate chip pankaces were really good, so were the plain ones too. The portions are huge on all their breakfasts.. and their chili burger was really good too, super messy. But I'm going to get one of their waffles I think, maybe a chocolate chip or a cherry one.. those are good too. Oh and the coffee is good here, nice and strong.

Looking up from the menu she tilted her head and smiled at him. See anything that sounds good?

((OOC *stomach growls* damn... ))
Milazo 18 years ago
"So none of that blade practice you mentioned earlier? Too bad.. men with swords can be sexy."

Drev chuckled and looked up at her.

"So I've been shown," he said with a wink before looking down at his menu. "Do you have any experience with a blade?" Deciding on chocolate chip pancakes, Drev closed the menu and leaned back in his chair. He wasn't picky enough to waste time staring at the menu when he could be looking at the girl across the table from him. "Women with a sword are even sexier than men," he added with a grin.
Serena 18 years ago
Well.. she closed and set down her menu, glancing to the side and catching the waitress' attention as she did, I am a blackbelt in a couple of forms so I have some weapons training, swords included. But I'm more of a guns and explosives kind of girl. She grinned, thinking about blowing things up always got her perked up.

Their waitress, Ida, came by to take their order with a large smile at Serena. Pulling out her pad she looked Drev over then gave the brunette a slight nod and a big wink, making Serena blush faintly. Trying to ignore that, she ordered coffee and a Belgan waffle with cherries, and extra whipped cream.

After waiting for Drev to order she leaned forward and propped her elbows on the table's edge, and rested her chin on her hands. Studying him for a moment she wondered out loud,
So what kind of blades do you train with?
Milazo 18 years ago
Drev smiled up at the waitress, ordered the chocolate chip pancakes with a side of bacon, then turned back to Serena.

"I use two katanas, much to the chagrin of my master. Holy hell, did I hear shit about that!" Drev chuckled as he recalled those arguments with his master so many years ago. "But he didn't complain when he saw that I could handle them." Drev's eyebrows rose a bit when he realized that she said she was a black belt. Karate chicks are so hot....

"What do you have your belts in?" He probably wouldn't know what the names meant, since he'd had all his martial arts training in the secluded mountains of Japan, far from any dojo or studio. But that didn't make hearing women talk about it any less appealing.
Serena 18 years ago
Oh, I'm studied in JuJitsu and Tae Kwon Do. Being female, the JuJitsu is good for self defense, but I love practicing the weapons katas for Tae Kwon Do. You can get a lot of emotion vented and actually not kill anyone. That thought made her chuckle. So, these "blades" as you call them, are they a form or just self taught?

Serena smiled. She liked martial arts, they were always interesting and the schools of thought behind each of them could spawn a conversation for weeks she guessed. She also enjoyed the physical aspect as well as the peace of mind that came with knowing you could take care of yourself. "Not against a vampire," the negative little voice in her taunted but was ignored. She was enjoying ignoring that voice a lot lately she'd begun to realize.

Their waitress set down their coffee cups and a huge boowl of half & half creamers. Serena pulled out four of them and proceeded to dump them into her cup along with 5 packets of sugar then started to stir it all into a creamy blend.
Milazo 18 years ago
Drev nodded as she spoke; he was genuinely impressed. Martial arts were a difficult thing to undertake, let alone do well in, and it revealed much about a person who has.

"No, not self-taught. I studied under a samurai master in Japan for many years. He was a very independent person. He believed that if you learned a specific discipline of martial arts, then you are forced to adhere to specific rules and traditions. And if one wants to be a successful swordsman, he needs to be open to anything his opponent might throw at him. So, he taught me everything he knew."

Leaning forward, Drev poured a packet of sugar into his coffee and sipped it slowly. "Now though, I practice on my own. Mostly going through the forms, sparring every once in a while. I just call it Blades because anything else isn't right." Drev shrugged and took another sip of coffee while he watched her. "Speaking of sparring," Drev went on with a slight smirk, "I've been looking for a sparring partner since I got back to Nachton...."
Serena 18 years ago
Serena sipped her coffee as she listened to Drev, nodding and grinning at a couple points. She found she agreed with his sensei's opinion. It was a more old world outlook than you were likely to find today she felt.

That master of yours has the right idea, pretty progressive in a classic kind of way. Most forms do lock you into a specific action and reaction mindset that make you predictable I think. She took another sip while she thought for a moment, then continued, However there is something to say for tradition and history that's passed down. And most people nowdays barely have time for anything.. learning one form can be a feat but learning a combination of many? That could take lifetimes.. She chuckled. Which of course we as mere mortals don't have.

Now a sparring partner, that could be fun.. I usually just work out at home or by the pool. Do you go to a studio?

((ooc damn preview and submit buttons are too close, lol! ))
Milazo 18 years ago
Drev nodded, taking another sip of coffee. "My master didn't exactly throw out the traditional forms. Rather, he let himself be inspired by them. Some disciplines have advantages over others. Through his years of training, he studied these advantages and used them as a basis for his own training. It did take him a very long time - he was almost eighty when I met him. But still as nimble as a kitten," Drev said with a bit of wonder in his voice. He took another sip of coffee, basked in the warmth of Serena's eyes for a very brief moment, then went on.

"He'd never had a student before me, and hadn't been looking for one, either. Nor was I in the mood to learn a martial art. I was on a vacation to Japan, sightseeing the rural areas, and we met in a small village in the mountains." Drev shrugged. "Fate, I guess.

"His style actually isn't difficult to learn. It only took him a couple years to teach me what I needed to know - mostly the physical aspects. The rest has been self-exploration, meditation, and practice."

Smiling, Drev sat back in his chair and sipped his coffee.

"Actually, I had one of the rooms of my condo converted to a studio where I do most of my practice. I'd be happy to show it to you some time."
Serena 18 years ago
Polishing off her cup, she smiled and nodded while she poured in another round of cream and sugar before she set it out near the edge to catch the waitress' attention. Studying Drev for a moment, Serena rolled around that idea in her head. She was really cautious about going anyplace alone with anyone, one of the many side effects of her paranoia she knew. But he was bringing out the boldness and recklessness in her.

That sounds fun. We could spar some time and maybe you can show me some of those moves of yours.. if you like. Rena grinned at him, eyes twinkling at the double entendre.
Milazo 18 years ago
"Deal," Drev said with a grin before tipping back the last of his coffee. As if on cue, the waitress bustled over with a full pot of coffee and filled both cups.

"But I must warn you," Drev said with a grin when the waitress departed, "that I never show all my moves on the first date." Then, after a slight pause he added, "Unless you get me drunk," with a sly wink.