Wallflower

Moving lightly and quietly through the crowd, Alec headed to the far side of the buffet table. From here he'd be able to watch the entrances in all of their authentic glory without being too obvious about his people watching...though that was the point of masquerades, was it not? Also, it would allow him to investigate some of the hors d'oeuvres...of stunning variety and composition. "Hm...I'm not sure what that one even is...and here I thought I was well tutored in polite culinary foods."

Skirting to the bar, he slipped himself a glass of plain mineral water, wishing to avoid the potential awkwardness that sometimes ensued when you only want the barest portion of what is offered. The waitstaff here seemed well trained, but there would always still be that initial look of wondering what the hell was wrong with the person...heh. If they only knew.

Having resumed his wallflower position, Alec sipped at his water, watching the flow of humanity and inhumanity through the doors, taking in the costumes.

Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe noticed from her position near the wall that she wasn't the only one to be more comfortable in the role of observer. A young man had joined her, not too far away, who looked like he was about her own age. He was staring out at the people coming in, much as she'd been doing.

She smiled a bit in his direction, not sure if he'd seen her or not. She sipped slowly at a glass of sprite, her eyes roaming around the room looking for Mai. She wasn't very outgoing, and she certainly wouldn't be here at a costume ball of all things if she hadn't received the note.

Aishe didn't immediately see the girl, however, and she felt more than a little out of place in this big room wearing this costume. She didn't think it'd hurt to meet a few more people in this city, anyhow.
Alec Devereaux 18 years ago
As Alec watched the pageantry unfold, he became aware of the fact that another on the wall wasn't watching the crowd, but was watching *him*. Self conscious for a moment, he glanced over and smiled in return. "The Egyptian...now, now. Could just be a human dressing the part. Or someone who has been around for thousands of years and who has eaten their way across time and space to get to YOU NEXT. Hell, I'm fresh enough that someone so old might not even notice I've been turned! Crap. What do you say to someone like that?"

Alec realized that he'd been staring at her the entire time. "Been here less than 10 minutes and you've already committed your first social faux pas. Good job." Blushing a bit, Alec returned his attention to his water, facing the crowd and not realizing he'd yet to blink.
Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe had to laugh to herself. Here they were, two wallflowers, playing the "tag-you're-it" game with glances both covert and overt. He was certainly staring at her, and if she was correct, he hadn't even bothered to blink.

Was she dinner? Or worse, an hors' d'ouvres? What was unnerving was not knowing who here was human, and who wasn't. But certainly Mai wouldn't have invited her someplace unsafe for a human to be wandering? Then again, Mai knew what she wanted by coming to Nachton. Maybe...

Ah, who was she kidding? She'd been through this before, meeting Peter. How long could she psych herself out? All right, so not every vampire 'just needed a hug,' but whether this guy was one or wasn't, he was a wallflower like her, so maybe he'd want to talk.

Uncharacteristically forward, she crossed the small space between them, careful not to trip on the folds of her hastily-made costume. Once there, she held out her hand with a smile.

"Hi. I'm Aishe. Do two wallflowers make a bouquet, or does it just make us wallpaper, do you suppose?"
Nearly spitting mineral water out of his nose at the unexpected comment, he sputtered and then laughed aloud. "Great, now you almost empty the contents of both your glass and your nasal passage on her for taking the trouble to come talk to you. That's two and three, respectively. Pull it together."

"Ah, sorry. I suppose it is only a bouquet if you get three or more all together in one spot. At this point I'm afraid we're only the most basic of arrangements. Alec."

Extending his gloved hand, Alec realized another mishap, and pointedly blinked. "Dammit, there's four."

"So...uhh...much practice dressing in the old Egyptian style?"

Smacking his forehead internally... "Five. You're really in top form tonight. Calm down. The worst that can happen is that you'll be marked for death for some perceived slight because of your social ineptitude...if you don't get it under control. Remember the other night...you can be natural and human-ish if you try." With a concerted effort, Alec pulled in his senses focusing only on the individual in front of him.
Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe felt her features relax into a genuine grin as she shook Alec's hand.

"Ah well, I think basic arrangements are supposed to be fashionable now. So we ought to be all the rage in the floral industry."

She noticed him blink, but made a point not to stare back. He seemed a little... nervy. Out of place. She attempted to make him laugh again, her polite nature coming out to try and put him at ease. When he asked about her costume, a queston that struck her as... well, odd, the way he phrased it, she laughed lightly and looked down at herself.

"This old thing?" she quipped. "Actually, no. I'm recently arrived here in Nachton, and I was invited here by a new friend. I don't really have much in the way of clothing with me at the moment, so I had to throw something together. And well, since I'm and archaeologist... and Egypt is my specialty, here you have it."

Aishe gave a little shrug and regarded Alec.
"Am I to assume, then, that you're dressed as a very modern vampire?"
Yeah, fan of "Blade" and "Underworld" and all those....well, more than the "Dracula" and "Queen of the Damned" thing, anyway. Of course, bringing the arsenal in seemed inappropriate. I'll have to make due with the clothes...and since they were wardrobed up anyway, just a little recombination and BAM! Instant creature of the night!

So...are you teaching at the University here, then? Or are there some Relics in the area I should know about? Nachton's a long way from Cairo, according to my globe.

"There we go. That one's a little more subtle. Maybe you'll get through tonight after all. Oh, blink."
Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe chuckled; Alec's description of his costume sounded a great deal like hers... hastily thrown together but fun. Still, she couldn't resist a little bit of teasing.

"I had always thought that BAM was an Emeril trademark, not a costume ingredient."

She shook her head when he asked about her teaching.
"I don't think I'd make a very good teacher. I'm more of a field researcher. I'm sort of on sabbatical at the moment, but looking around for something to do if I decide to stay. So far, I'm just here to see the sights. And as for Cairo, well, I was in Giza last year on a dig, but I haven't actually lived in Egypt since I was a little girl. My parents moved to America and of course I cam along. Hmm, about 14 years ago now."

She had the strangest impression from Alec that he was listening to her, but had something else on his mind as well. That stare was... well, disconcerting. She didn't think he meant anything by it, though, and pointing it out would ave been far too rude. She was still aware that she'd had her fair share of rudeness recently.

"What about you? What do you do here? Have you been here all your life?"
Mais non! Bam is a French ingredient that makes EVERYTHING better, not just food! Emeril is just the most open about it...he must have missed the day in culinary school where they teach you not to let the world know the power of the BAM.

Watching her talk about her childhood, her eyes changed a bit...as if they were looking back in time internally...but not too far. "I guess this one is young or living"...watching her small, subtle movements within her larger gestures, he noted the hands of a field researcher - the hands of someone sifting through ages of rock and mud to find a slip of a clue to where they came from. Coming back to the present, processing her words, he replied,

Actually, I am a recent arrival as well...just finished unpacking the essentials a couple of nights back and am starting to get out into the community a bit more. A little skee ball, a little wandering of the strip, checked out a couple of restaurants, nothing much. Getting ready to open the office up here and get back to work.
Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe listened to Alec with interest, for it sounded like he'd enjoyed his brief time here so far.

"Oh, skeeball? I used to love that game," she laughed. "I haven't played it in years though. I imagine I'd be pretty awful."

She couldn't help but recount the events of the past few days for her, and chuckled again.

"Your time here has been far more productive than mine. So far I've been lost in the city, tripped over and knocked into a streetlamp by a well-meaning but distracted young man, and met a variety of interesting and unusual people. Nachton seems to attract them. This whole city has an air of the unusual about it. Not in a bad way, just that things are different here from other cities sometimes. I love it so far."

Aishe thanked a waiter who swooped by to take her now-empty soda glass and cast a searching glance over the growing crowd for Mai.

"This is certainly something else," she mused. "I wonder if this is an annual event? Halloween is sure big around here."
Thinking over some of the other things he'd done since his arrival, he frowned a bit. "Well, not every day can be filled with jack and coke, I suppose." Altering his gaze a bit to play off the darkening interior thoughts,

I'm sorry you feel your time has been unproductive. I'd offer to help in some way, but I fear my avenue of specialty would be next to useless to you...so I'll merely offer my condolences for lost time.

Smiling again, But if you can laugh about it, you're well on your way to curing all of your ills.

Most cities seem to have their own feel, their own spirit. It just takes a discerning eye to spy the differences. Difference, in a lot of way, is architecture...even without the people, the buildings still communicate. That's what architecture really is - communication. Of course, that unconscious conversation takes place with the inhabitants of the area, making them into what the original designers had hoped. Interesting, that. That sense of place exists...even without the people...but it defines the people and molds them.

But I ramble. I'm sorry.
Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe smiled at Alec's words, for they were entirely truthful.

She held up her hand when he'd finished speaking, in a gesture meant to deny her earlier tone of voice.

"I didn't mean to complain," she said hastily. "I can't complain, really. Even though it seems like I've had a rocky time of it since arriving here, I've actually met so many interesting people that way. And you're absolutely right. About this city, it's got its own way of defining its denizens. I've felt it too, since coming here. The city is so alive, it makes me act moreso as well. I'm changing, and maybe it's because I'm here."

Aishe didn't really think simply being here in Nachton was the cause of her acting so oddly lately, but she wasn't about to count anything out and she certainly couldn't deny that the city did have a different sort of 'feel' to it than any others she'd been in.

She focused her green eyes sharply on the man with the unusual stare.
"Such deep words," she mused. "You'd make a far better teacher than I."
Alec laughed at this assessment.

Ah...sadly, no. There are a very few things at which I would be a proficient teacher. Combine that with a fear of being in front of a crowd and I'd not be long for the blackboard. Assistant, perhaps, but never the show-starter.

Even with the things that I could teach...I can have difficulty explaining concepts in ways other than my own understanding of them. The best teachers I've met have been able to approach it from many, many perspectives to reach the greatest number of students possible. I fear that I'd frustrate my students more than enlighten them.

Chuckling at the image of 'Professor Devereaux' in his head, he continued, Besides...I think I would look quite silly in tweed or sweater vests, and that seems to be a requirement, in my experience.
Ginnie 18 years ago
Ginnie moved to the buffet table, her mouth watered a bit. She loved this sort of food, and was glad that she had not let that silly woman cinch her waist "properly." She took up one of the small plates and put several little finger foods on it. As she turned to go she noticed a woman in Egyptian garb and a man that looked liked he'd walked off the set of the Matrix. He seemed vaguely familiar and her face was entirely new. Curious about both their unusual mix and their lack of socializing she approached them.

Besides...I think I would look quite silly in tweed or sweater vests, and that seems to be a requirement, in my experience.

'I always seem to catch the oddest part of conversations...'

She smiled brightly and held out her free hand, the lace falling away to her elbow.

"Good eve to you both. I'm Ginnie. Mind if I join you?"

'There see you still remember your manners. Though the contractions are a bit too modern for your dress.' Ginnie chuckled at herself inside her head as her eye twinkled with the mischief in her head.
Turning to the new speaker, Alec had a sense of deja vu. He knew he had seen her upon entering, but there was something else...perhaps somewhere else he had seen her. Focusing only on her facial details, he was fairly certain she had been in or around the Domicile at some point while he was doing his unloading, though they had not spoken. The difficulty came in the stark contrast that her lovely ball gown had to her much more utilitarian clothing of that passing glance. Reaching to take her hand in the court fashion, as if compelled, Alec stated with a slight bow

Greetings...I am Alec, this is Aishe. Pleased to formally meet you.
Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe couldn't help but laugh as her mind superimposed a fussy sweater-vest over Alec's considerably more trendy attire.

"Sweater-vests are only worn coupled with argyle knee-high socks, I hear," she bantered back.

Just then they were interrupted by another 'vampire,' this one dressed in a splendid gown that looked spectacular, if not difficult to get around in. She introduced herself as Ginnie, and Alec bent over her hand. Getting into the spirit of the evening herself, Aishe offered her a curtsey as Alec introduced her.

"Well, we're officially a bouquet," Aishe said with a wink at Alec.

She scanned the ever-growing crowd once more for Mai, but now there were far too many people in the way. She suffered a slight bit of insecurity over whether it would be best to move around or stay in one place, ut patience and common sense won out. She remained where she was, casting frequent glances out over the sea of colors and shapes.
Chuckling, A bouquet, indeed.

Looking back up, Alec examines the floral patterns on the dress...the intricacy and skill of the hand stitching is very impressive. Boggled at the amount of time that folks from previous centuries took with their clothing, he returns to the moment.

Are all of those flowers hand done? It always amazes me how much things have changed over time. Most people these days wouldn't take the effort to learn to stitch that well, let alone practice it regularly. Or wear clothing that complicated. If it isn't too bold...how long did it take to get into that lovely garb?

Looking past the new arrival's lovely dress, Alec notices a titan from the days of old stride into the hall. Armor clad from head to toe, the man is a wall of metal and flesh. Incongruously, he holds a glass of red wine in his hand...like a cherry blossom in the mouth of a shark. Aside, to Aishe,

Now there's a man who was raised on BEEF. Look how big he is next to that Asian woman. Unreal.
Mai 18 years ago
Mai wandered among the people taking in the sounds and smells and then there is was; the smell of Aishe, kohl and vanilla. She wondered about the last scent but felt the statement about a man's heart being through his stomach was metaphorically true in a lot of cases if not quite anatomically correct. Perhaps it would work for the human woman.

She moved silently towards her target and came to stand next to her. It would seem Aishe managed to find company already. Mai waited quietly, feeling that at this moment it would be impolite to drag the girl away from her new friends but she was not above the action if it proved necessary.

((OOC: Yep, she's horribly polite isn't she? ))
Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe was momentarily stunned by the beauty of Mai's kimono. It was absolutely gorgeous... and completely impossible to miss as the girl came to stand beside her.

Aishe turned to Mai, happy to see her but feeling a bit nervous. She steepled her hands together and bowed.

"Konbanwa, Mai-chan."

She couldn't recall if that was the proper term; she only spoke a smattering of Japanese, but she wanted to be as proper as possible, it somehow seemed right around Mai. Especially tonight.

"I'm happy to see you!"
Mai 18 years ago
Mai raised her painted eyebrows above the blindfold at the familiar greeting and smiled softly. She had to remember that to Aishe she looked younger than she was so perhaps the girl thought of them as equals.

She giggled, deciding to go along with that and replied with a bow.

"Konbanwa, 'Neechan."

Mai lightly placed a hand on Aishe's arm, looking towards her with a smile.

" Hai, it is good, so far, yes? You look very lovely tonight."

It was too bad that her friend wasn't likely to see her but then maybe he was here. She got the impression that he had hid from Aishe though and that was why the woman had come but she could be wrong.

"My friends are here would you like to meet them?"
Ginnie 18 years ago
Ginnie chuckled at Alec's antics. She now knew exactly who he was. She had been looking forward to meeting this particular man, but business would have to wait.

"I do not believe that forward in this day and age, Alec. It took me and two other women just under an hour to get just the dress on. I don't even want to think about the time I wasted on hair and make up."

Ginnie turned when the small kimono clad woman approached. 'Well, shit. That's all I need. No wait, this is neutral ground tonight. Nothing will happen to you for speaking politely to the leader of Anantya...nothing.' She didn't do a very good job of convincing herself, but she managed to keep her thoughts out of her eyes.

'Pesky eyes reveal everything.' She did however think it best to not be forward in this situation and allow Aishe to make introductions...not that Ginnie needed one. She wondered briefly if Mai would even remember her.